Monday 3 February 2014

Frost Fair:When an Elephant walked on the Thames

In the course of transcribing parish registers for the parishes in and south of Bromley it has been fascinating to find evidence of mariners dockers and Thames based employment listed. I recently examined details of a docker buried at Bromley whose funeral director's account book showed in the 1814 account that a dockers friendly society had paid for the burial. I found the Museum of London Docklands a useful resource for my research surrounding Thames Lightermen earlier this century and so the current exhibition at the Museum concerning the Frost Fairs on the river see Museum of London Docklands attracted me.
I can do no better in this blog than the BBC magazine article about Frost Fairs here. The exhibit at the Museum runs until Sunday 30 March. The Museum is easily reached at No.1 Warehouse West India Quay E 14 4 AL (use Docklands Light Railway West India Quay). I commend the Museum and this exhibition.

No comments:

Post a Comment